VIRTUAL LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
IS VIRTUAL REALITY L&D’S BEST NEW TOOL?
Virtual Reality is transforming tourism, retail and sports by creating immersive experiences and engaging users with new content. In the same way, VR is becoming a powerful tool to improve Employee Learning and Development.
In perhaps the biggest sign of how VR is impacting Learning and Development, the world’s largest private employer Walmart, has announced it will be rolling out VR Employee Training by the end of 2017.
At Catalyst we’ve worked on L&D Virtual Reality projects including an interactive VR experience for Pernod Ricard UK to assist market and consumer understanding. Created a Virtual Reality experience for Medibank on company culture and values, and a VR project for Group M as part of their Graduate Program.
Simulating a user in a virtual environment is what makes VR such a powerful tool for L&D. It is an extremely immersive experience, much more engaging than traditional media and as a result helps people learn new concepts faster and retain information better.
Examples of how Virtual Reality can be used for learning and development include;
- Training staff on specific situations. (Heights or confined spaces in the mining industry)
- Customer or consumer empathy. (Placing staff in the shoes of your customers)
- Equipment and procedural training. (Heavy Machinery or Medical Procedures)
- Health and Safety. (Fire and Evacuation Plans)
- Sales and Marketing. (Role Plays, Public Speaking)
- Education. (Virtual Classrooms and Tutorials)